National Association of Royalty Owners Logo

National Association of Royalty Owners

The Only National Organization Representing Oil & Gas Royalty Owners Interest

What to do when you get a Division Order?

11/02/2023 1:04 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

By Martha Barnes

Oklahoma NARO Director

Do you know that you do not have to sign a Division Order in Oklahoma [or in most other states]? Do you know that you might accidentally give away some of your rights if you do? Do you know that you can demand interest if the payments are late? Do you know that you do not have to wait to get royalty checks until the amount is at least $100.00? Do you know that the operator still needs a copy of your W-9 with your correct name and address so that you get paid in a timely fashion and do not have Federal Income tax taken out? (You must pay it if you owe it. It is easier to pay what you owe than trying to get back what you might have overpaid.)

With the necessary disclaimer that this information should not be construed as legal or tax advice, here is a useful form letter that I use when communicating with an operator. I always send by certified mail return receipt and keep a copy of the letter, the original Division Order, and the returned green receipt in my file so I know the date and who signed for it. 

Download Your Free Division Order Form Letter Template

Taken from the August 2023 Royalty Owner Action Report (ROAR) Newsletter.

Join today to get more helpful tips like this each month!

Call Us

Have your member number ready when you call.  

It can be found in your profile, click your name to see your profile.

Local (918) 794-1660

Toll Free (800) 558-0557


Mon-Fri 8am-5pm CST

Send Us An Email 

Membership Questions

Mineral Management Program Questions

Events or Chapter Specific Questions

© Copyright 2022 National Association of Royalty Owners

Privacy Policy and Refund Policy